Helene Rose Sankovitch
StylistIt's not what you cut, it's what you leave behind
There are two things that will strike you the moment you meet Helene: her passion and her professionalism. Like many A+S stylists, hair is her second career. Before this, Helene worked in public relations, so she’s an expert at bringing out the best in all people, and that’s what she does for every client who sits her chair. She brings a laid back excellence to her work, effortless and always ready for the next step, all the while sharing her limitless knowledge of both high brow tastes (she loves to read) and less-than-high-brow too (have you seen 90 Day Fiance? Because Helene is an expert). When she isn’t behind the chair, she is falling in love with Chicago all over again, riding down the LSD or finding new, healthy recipes to explore. When you sit in Helene’s chair for the first time, you quickly realize you’re a regular just waiting to happen.
- With A+S since 2019
- Education Includes: Aveda Institute Chicago, Bumble and Bumble Styling I, American Crew Complete Method, The Grooming Collective Complete Method, Oribe Advanced Styling
Stylist"The working man is a sucker! So do what you love."
Tina is the complete package. When asked if she has hobbies, her exact answer was, “Hobbies??? I have a daughter!” Not only does she have an utterly charming and down-to-earth sense of humor, she approaches every client with passion and empathy. If she weren’t a stylist, she would own a small business or be an activist. She’s the kind of person who looks to take care of others, at home, at work, and in life. She’s a self-professed infectious free spirit, and she loves a great lived-in look that she can suit to her clients’ individual styles. In the end, when you sit in Tina’s chair, you feel like family.
- With A+S since 2016
- Education Includes: Bumble and Bumble Styling I; Shu Uemura Advanced Styling; American Crew Master of Men’s Grooming; Oribe Advanced Styling
Director Stylist“Today you are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.” ~ Dr. Seuss
When people come to Aggie, they get a haircut and they also get an experience. Aggie is one of the best traveled people in the world, with pearls of wisdom for every single one of her clients. It’s telling that if she weren’t a hair stylist, she would be an expert in healing arts, alternative modalities or psychology. She finds people fascinating, which makes every day behind the chair a journey. She is an ascriber to the belief that you should never be anything other than you. She loves a client looking to enhance their natural texture, not fight against it. She makes sure everyone who sits in her chair leaves the salon feeling their best.
- With A+S since 1999
- Education Includes: Bumble and Bumble Styling I, Advanced Razor Cutting, Advanced Shear Cutting, Previous A+S Educator, Previous Educator for Joe Grooming; Vivian Mackinder
Artistic Director Stylist/Education Coordinator/Cutting Educator“Can I be a combo of Anthony Bourdain and Jacques Cousteau? That sounds like a great job.”
You’d be hard pressed to find someone more dedicated to hair education than Christin. While her year is jam packed with clients and teaching our apprentices cutting and blow drying, you’ll have a tough time finding her in February. She might be in Thailand, maybe Vietnam. Honduras perhaps? Who knows! Check out her instagram for her travelogue and hair inspirations. No haircut is outside her wheelhouse because she’s the kind of stylist who masters every technique she tries.
- With A+S since 2005
- Education Includes: Bumble and Bumble Network Educator, Bb Straight Razor Series (Design Studio, Design Workshop, Creative, Styling, Bb Curl Workshop), Vidal Sassoon Creative Courses, Kerastase Training Workshop
- Special Services include: Straight Razor Hair Cutting, Wedding Hair, Keratin, Olaplex
Artistic Director Stylist“Remember, kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die. Follow your heart, kid, and you’ll never go wrong.”
Julia, a proud native of small town USA Cherry Illinois (near Starved Rock State Park), is the kind of person who knows everyone. We don’t know how she does it, but when you meet her, she’s the kind of magnetic personality that makes it hard not to enjoy your time in her chair. She came to Chicago from this small town and quickly made this massive city feel like her small town all over again.. Her laid back personality is the perfect complement to her attention to detail and constant creativity with hair. It’s also a major asset when managing the West Loop Salon. There aren’t many people who can manage a dozen stylists, create gorgeous cuts and updos, and take the time to chill and float in the Lake of the Ozarks every year, but Julia is the kind of person who makes the impossible possible.
- With A+S since 2007
- Education Includes: Bumble and Bumble (Network Educator I, Styling I, Razor Cutting, Shear Cutting, Leadership Know Your Strengths), Vivienne Mackinder, Vidal Sassoon ABC and advanced cutting courses, American Crew Advanced Men’s Cutting
- Special Services Include: Keratin Treatment, Formal Styling, Wedding Hair
- "Why fit in when we were born to stand out?" ~ Dr. Seuss
Paul hails from a family of successful artists and parlayed his imagination and drawings of his own superheroes into a wildly successful career in the hair industry. An international stylist celebrity, Paul chose a career in hair for the sole purpose of mastering a craft that directly impacts how people feel about themselves. Mentor, psychologist, artist…superhero creator. Find your inner superhero.
- With A+S since 1995
- Global Artistic Director of American Crew
- Education Includes: Vidal Sassoon ABC, Bumble and Bumble (Business Immersion I, Fierce Conversations, Styling Your Career, Leadership Know Your Strengths, Advanced Razor Cutting, Advanced Shear Cutting, Cut Mastery)
Colorist"Try to experience as many things in life as possible"
When you meet Abby, it’s hard to avoid becoming fast friends. She brings a level of self-confidence and kindness to every conversation that even a first meeting can feel like hanging out with an old bestie. Originally hailing from Minnesota, she has fallen in love with Chicago and its incredible music scene. As a colorist, she has always loved color theory (she spends her free time painting and experimenting with hues) and she brings that passion to the chair every day of the week. If she weren’t a stylist, she would have become a therapist because she isn’t afraid to figure out who you are and bring out your best, if that’s through a compassionate consultation or a fresh and beautiful bleach and tone (her favorite service to perform). When you book with Abby, not only do you walk away with incredible color, but a new friend as well.
- With A+S since 2018
- Education Includes – Aveda Institute, Minneapolis; Revlon Professional Advanced Color Theory; L’Oreal Advanced Balayage; Root, Minneapolis Apprenticeship
Colorist"Nothing worth having comes easily"
When asked what she would be doing if she weren’t a hair stylist, Mayra said “wedding and events planner” and you understand that the second you meet her. She commands a vivacious and grounded energy every time she brings a new client to her chair, ready to find out who you are so she can bring the best out in your hair. Mayra loves to create a chill, engaging client experience, creating beautiful highlights while discussing the finer points of Chicago food and where she wants to travel next (answer: anywhere with mountains or an ocean). By the time you leave Mayra’s chair, you’ll be looking forward to your next visit.
- With A+S since 2019
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Education Includes: L’Oreal Advanced Balayage, Revlon Professional Color Theory, Bumble and Bumble Styling I, Pivot Point Cosmetology School, Eyelash Extensions master class
Colorist"Value experiences over material things...I live by this every day."
Row is an artist and a scientist of human connection. She embodies the soul of our company’s mantra in everything she does. While her first love is marine biology (she recently crossed ‘swimming with whale sharks’ off her bucket list!), she brings that same passion and curiosity to the craft of hair color, creating new and gorgeous combinations customized to every client who sits in her chair. A self-described collector of oddities, Row brings her own unique brand of empathy that brings out the best in all people who enter her circle. When she isn’t in the salon, she’s probably vacationing in Northern California, riding the PCH or the 1 south along the coast, hitting every In-N-Out as she goes. Row is an avid chef and, like almost all Chicagoans, her true love is food. When you sit in Row’s chair, it’s hard not to feel connected, grounded, present and, hey, you might even walk away with a new recipe to try at home!
- With A+S since 2019
- Education includes: Aveda Institute; Ashlee Norman – Triple Threat Foilayage; Sonja Dove – Advanced Balayage; Vivienne Mackinder – Vidal Sassoon Creative Color
Colorist"Well, well, well, how the turntables..." ~ Michael Scott (The Office)
Meet Salma. The first thing you’ll notice about her is her bold aesthetics and amazing attention to care and detail. The second thing you’ll notice is she’s a person of few words. While she an incredible and fun-loving native of Chicago, a lover of music and food, as well as the owner of a wicked sense of humor, Salma is a designer first and foremost. She got into hair because she lives to make things gorgeous, be they a balayage or a mind-blowing meld of fun color. If she weren’t a colorist, she would have been an interior designer, and she brings that level of focus, expertise, and knowledge to her work behind the chair. She might not inundate you with her latest life dramas, but she will listen, she’ll remember, and when she makes you laugh, she makes you LAUGH.
- With A+S since 2018
- Education Includes: Revlonissimo Advanced Color Theory, Bumble and Bumble Styling I, L’Oreal Advanced Balayage
Christi (Chris) Gonzalez
Master Colorist“Hobbies include: burger enthusiasm and cat trinket collecting”
Upon meeting Chris, you’ll notice her charm from a mile away. It’s hard not to see it with that massive smile and incredibly empathetic manner. It’s telling that if she weren’t a stylist she might have been an occupational therapist. Don’t be fooled though, under that delightful exterior is a quirky personality and fierce talent. While busting out a gorgeous balayage, Chris will happily wax poetic on the various burgers and comfort foods available in the Chicagoland area. And feel free to ask her about her cats, she definitely wants to tell you about them.
- With A+S since 2016
- Education Includes: Beauty Coach Tour with Nikki Lee and Riawna Capri (LA Salon 901); Revlon Advanced Training; Pravana Vivids Advanced
- Special Services Include: Wedding Styling
Thursday wl Friday wl Saturday wl Sunday wl
Color Touch Up $76+ Virgin/Tint $97+ Partial Highlight $132+ Full Highlight $147+ Dual Process $150+ Balayage $157+ Bleach and Tone $115+ (requires consultation) Updo $95+ Formal Styling $85+ Blowdry $64+
- "The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary." ~ Vidal Sassoon.
Susan started her hair career at a very young age and it quickly brought her to Art + Science. Susan is an essential piece of the Art + Science DNA, from her management, to her education, to her leadership as one of the salon’s head colorists. Education is a way of life for Susan, and it’s why she is the Education Director for the salons, always crafting the new generation while always finding new ways to inspire the masters. She looks to build deeper connections with her clients finding new inspiration behind the chair every hour of every day. When she isn’t in the salon, she’s probably on the beach somewhere beautiful or spending time with her family . When you sit in Susan’s chair, you know you’re in the hands of a consummate professional, a technical master, and a good person. It’s difficult to leave without a smile on your face.
- With A+S since 2000
- Education Includes: AVEDA Institute Minneapolis, Vidal Sassoon Cutting and Coloring – London, Revlon Advanced Color – Paris and Toronto; Revlon Professional Advanced Education – Madrid; Bumble & Bumble University – NYC; L’Oréal Professional Advanced Balayage – NYC; Wella Technical Color Master – Los Angeles
- US Educator for Revlon Professional
Barber"Just go for it no matter how terrifying something new may be. If it scares you, it means you're doing the right thing. Nothing good comes easy."
You know that person who’s friends with everybody? That’s Maureen. It’s difficult not to become fast friends with someone so welcoming, kind, and thoughtful. A born and bred Chicagoan, Maureen brings her natural curiosity to the chair. An expert with shears or clippers, she loves to nail a tight fade, but her true passion is exploring edgier and more textured looks. If you aren’t afraid of a shag or mullet, neither is she. A proud product of immigrants, she loves heading to the hispanic communities on the southwest side and immersing herself in her culture, though, more often than not, you’ll find her keeping up with new shows on Netflix and snuggling with her dog Stitch. As a barber, Maureen brings the perfect mix of technical expertise, vanguard artistic vision, and exceptional customer service. Whether you want a classic pomp, a high and tight, or a style that’s off the beaten path, Maureen will deliver.
- With A+S since 2019
- Education Includes – Paul Mitchell Chicago; American Crew Complete Method; American Crew Master of Men’s Grooming; Grooming Collective Apprenticeship
Director Barber“My dad always said: They can’t throw you in jail and they can’t kill you. If they can’t do that, then I guess things aren’t as bad as they seem.”
Nicky has always been a fan of the finer things in life, not the least of all, your haircut. Nicky joined our barbering team in 2015 and makes sure to bring precision, knowledge, and a little creative kick to every client who sits in his chair. That passion extends beyond the shears. Nicky is known around the salon for his incredible cooking and probably would have been a chef if he wasn’t so dedicated to your hairstyle.
- With A+S since 2015
- Education Includes: Advanced Training Program Michael Anthony Salon; Advanced Cutting and Styling at AVEDA